7 Seconds

July 21, 2013

Did you know that you only have 7 seconds to make a first impression?  The first time I learned this I was actually quite shocked. Not only with regards to the fact that you always have to be on your best behavior but just how quickly we as humans make judgements. It almost disgusted me.  I cant believe how quickly we judge people solely based on their appearance.

At orientation we did an activity within our groups about a very similar concept.  We were paired off and then asked to answer 12 questions about our partner. Knowing basically nothing about them we had to answer very personal questions (how many siblings, both parents, religion, did they have a car, etc).  Then we were supposed to tell the person what we answered for them.  They didn't have to make a comment or anything if they didn't want to it was just to show us that it is extremely hard to know anything about them just by looking at them.  So in the first 7 seconds that you meet someone they have already summed you up based on what you look like on the outside.

This really showed me to go beyond your first impressions of someone because you made them in 7 seconds.  Take the time to understand a person and really look at them as a person and not just an exterior.  I plan to really use this in college for making friends and just getting to know people in the future.  I hope you found this a little bit interesting because I know I did.  Just remember to look past your first impressions of people because there is way more to that person than just 7 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground