Dealing With Stress

August 25, 2013

Sorry for the larger gap of posts but as the title kind of states I have been extremely stressed lately.  This has been an extremely busy week before leaving for school.  My mom fell and broke her ankle resulting in her having to have surgery.  She was supposed to babysit her grand daughter/ my niece for 2 days but couldn't so I had to.  Those were two of the craziest and most tiring days ever.  I've heard of "the terrible twos" but I think we need a "obnoxious ones" or something of comparable standard.

Apart from my crazy stressful week I wanted to share some of my tips for how to handle stressful situations.  I have always been the type of person to simply go with the flow and never worry all that much.  Because of this, stress doesn't effect me too much until it gets to a point where I just break down because the stress is just TOO much.  I also thought this would be great for students who get stressed quite frequently  (trust me I know, been there, done that!!)  Here's what I do:

1.  STOP.  While it may be extremely difficult and seem like the last thing you want to it will ultimately be the best thing for you.  Your body just needs a little bit of relaxation time.  Whatever that be for you, listening to music, grab a bit to eat, take a nap...do it!  I promise you this little bit of down time will feel sooo good!

2.  BREATHE.  Take a moment to step back and breathe.  This is very similar to the relax one above but if you simply cannot take the time to stop just take a few minutes to listen to a calming song and just breathe.  I used to think it was crazy when I would hear people say shit like "Breathe in good, exhale bad," but it actually kind of works.  I think the trick behind it is just that it takes your mind off of whatever was stressing you out.

3. LOOK at your situation like you are a complete stranger.  Step back and analyze the scenario.  See if you get more perspective and it will help you destress.  Also, tell a friend what is happening and vent out your problems...that always helps me!!

4.  ASSESS what is happening and how you can fix it.  Also similar to number 4 more this time instead of just being aware of what is wrong now try to see what caused you to become this stressed and maybe in the future how to avoid these situations (for ex. saying no).

5.  BE more prepared for next time.  Next time when you even start to feel a little stressed out nip it in the butt.  Start these techniques sooner rather than later so that you don't get to such a bad point.

I wish you all the best and try to stay stress free!  What are some of your helpful destressing tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground