Advice to Incoming Freshman

July 16, 2014

So I thought I would start another new series along with my DIY Dorm Decor one about some advice to incoming freshman. This time last year I was beyond excited to leave for school. There were a few nerves but I was so ready to be out on my own and be independent. My freshman year was exactly what I thought it would be, and the exact opposite. There were nights I stayed up with my friends just talking until 4 am but then there were times when all I wanted to do was sit in my room alone for the entire weekend. 


It is definitely a new transition unlike anything you have ever experienced so I created a kind of funny kind of serious list (based off a BuzzFeed aricle) of things you should know before stepping foot on campus your first day. I plan on making a few more of these centered on different areas of college life but this one is super general. 

1. Take time to figure out what your beliefs are. 
2. Question the world around you. 
3. Put in an effort to make it to every home sporting event. 
4. You’re going to cry. 
5. Don’t give in to peer pressure. 
6. At least be acquaintances with your roommate…its no fun living in silence for an entire year. 
7. It’s always better to sleep a few hours and blow off a chapter then pull an all-nighter and be brain dead when you take the test. 
8. Never tweet or facebook about your 4.0. 
9. Stop finding the short cuts. 
10. Try not to buy your textbook from your school’s bookstore. Use slugbooks.com 
11. When you run into an awkward hook-up: smile and keep walking. 
12. Make friends with your professors and go to office hours. 
13. Don’t judge your college experience based off other people’s Facebook photos and Instagram. 
14. Some time all you need is a good Netflix binge session. 
15. Try not to procrastinate. 
16. Go out of your comfort zone. 
17. It’s perfectly okay to change your major or even your university. 
18. Buy a good pair of boots if your school is in a cold climate. 
19. Tell everyone on campus who helps you out, be it the bus driver, the cafeteria lady, the maintenance man, tell them all thank you. 
20. Always hold the door open. 
21. Manage your social media. Potential employers will look at it. 
22. Don’t ever be ashamed of where you are from. 
23. There is only one reason a person calls at 2 am. 
24. Find clubs and organizations that make you happy. 
25. Know how to properly ignore the people handing out flyers. A fake phone call usually does the trick. 
26. Stop bragging about things you did in high school. No one like people who dwell in the past. 
27. Call your parents. 
28. Just because they made out with you doesn’t mean they want to date you. Learn to let a few of those go. 
29. Don’t be the reason your group does poorly on a project. Pull your weight plus a little extra. 
30. Turn your cell phone on silent before every class. 
31. Sometimes it’s better to just not go than to be 45 minutes late. 
32. Carry headphones, a pack of gum and some change with you at all times. 
33. Always be professional when sending emails. 
34. Take classes you are interested in not because it is an “easy A.” 
35. Be prepared to drop your phone one too many times. 
36. Forgive yourself. 
37. Learn how to introduce two people to one another. Learn how to introduce yourself when someone fails to do it for you. 
38. Clean your room (for you and your roommate’s sake) 
39. Take pictures of everything. But don’t only live with your camera as your eye. 
40. You are going to fail a test. 
41. Make at least one friend that you can truly count on. 
42. It’s not if someone will spill a drink on you that night, it’s when. Don’t wear your best clothes to a drunken party. 
43. Don’t lose your room key. 
44. Learn how you study best and your note taking preference. 
45. You will go a few weeks without doing your laundry so buy enough underwear to last. 
46. You can wear jeans and a t-shirt to a party and don’t wear short skirts in the middle of winter. 
47. Be goofy. 
48. Wear a rain jacket versus carrying an umbrella. 
49. You have time for a quick shower. 
50. Be kind always. Everyone is fighting some kind of battle. 
51. Bring your phone charger with you everywhere!! 
52. People are going to be better than you, smarter than you, faster than you, funnier than you, and better looking than you. 
53. Know the words to your fight song. 
54. Use an agenda. 
55. Even if you don’t think you’re going to run into anyone you know, you will. 
56. First impressions count. 
57. Acting like you “don’t care” isn't cool anymore, start giving a shit. 
58. Make goals. 
59. Don’t do the reading the night before the test. 
60. Order the pizza. 

Do you have any tips that I should add to my list? 

xoxo 

10 comments:

  1. What about- shower shoes! I love this list- so great!

    -the Preppy Student

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes those are a definite must! Thanks

      Delete
  2. Love this! Great tips and all true.

    Ellen | A Pop of Pink
    http://ellenborza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! All so true, especially #19. I made friends with the baristas working the crazy-busy Starbucks on my campus and it paid off BIG time. Hello, free food and drink upgrades! Most students just ignore or are even rude to the people who work on their campus...they so appreciate the few students who take the time to connect with them. I got tons of favors my freshman year this way.

    Love, Gigi
    Dolce and Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was best friends with the baristas at Starbucks!! Being nice can get you a long way in life!

      Delete
    2. Annie, would you possibly post your email our shoot me a quick note at dolceandgabriella.wordpress.com? I just started my own blog and would love to speak with you about yours :)

      Delete
    3. I just added my email! I would love to hear from you :) annienbelle19@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. I love this list! I feel like I learned most of these before/during my freshman year, too. Isn't it crazy how much you can change in one year?

    Sydney
    Toodlebelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at who I was entering my freshmen year and now is a complete change! You learn a lot about yourself in college.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground