Packing Tips

August 27, 2014

I have started packing for my sophomore year of college and I am completely stressed out.  You never realize how much stuff you own until you have to move it all half way across the country.  The hardest part about moving to college is that you really never know what you might need.  For example, I have to pack a few pairs of shorts because I know for a fact that these next few weeks are going to be insanely hot in all the classrooms but then I also have to pack heavy winter gear.


It also makes it a bit challenging when you aren't sure if you are coming home for Thanksgiving or not.  I can't really leave too much at home then.  I am going to have my mom ship me a few things but it is still stressful.  With all the new regulations when it comes to flying you have a lot of things to take under consideration.  I would be less nervous if my bag was bordering the overweight line.  Last time I weighed it, it was 48.5 lbs.  

Also, you can only really check one or two bags because otherwise the fees are through the roof.  And you can only bring two carry ons so there is that to deal with as well.  I have a question for everyone out in the world who makes suitcases.  Why do you make the larger ones weigh more?  I mean, I buy the biggest suitcase I can and it already weight like 25 lbs... that means I can only put about 25 more pounds in it.  That is not a lot of clothes right there.  So by the time I get to the weight limit, there is still way more room in the suitcases.  It like tricks you to over pack it above the weight limit!  I don't understand.

I thought I would share a few tips that I have found over the years to help while packing.  I am definitely no expert and always over pack like crazy, but I am usually a good packer (except now when I am moving my entire wardrobe and life).

1. Roll your clothes || You think this is a gimmick and doesn't actually do anything but it does.  I swear I can cram way more in when my clothes are rolled.  Apparently it has something to do with reducing the amount of air in the suitcase.

2. Stuff your shoes || All of your underwear and socks can be put to good use.  Instead of letting them take up valuable space in the suitcase put them in your shoes.  Not only does this help keep the shape of your shoes, but it also uses every inch of available space.

3. Heavy items in the carry on || This is kind of your preference but it works well for me.  I always pack my shoes and anything very heavy in my carry on because those don't have a weight limit.  Keep lighter clothes and tshirts in the checked bag because you can add way more too it then!

4. Wear the bulkier items || If you plan on bringing sweatshirts and boots try and wear them to the airport.  Yes, I have been known to wear these items even if I am going to a warm climate because packing them is a b***h.  This is a great way to stay warm on the plane too because they can get really cold.  Its important though to not look like a complete slob.

5. Break things apart || I know that sounds odd but I mean it.  Don't pair two shoes right next to each other just because they are a pair.  Not all tshirts have to go in first.  I think its important to realize that its all about filling the spaces you see.  Its like a giant game of Tetris!

Packing is never easy nor fun but you can make it a bit less stressful.  Please let me know if you have any other packing tips to share with me because I could use all the help I can get right about now.  Oh college how you frustrate me and I'm not even back yet.

xoxo

1 comment:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground