Own It

March 29, 2015

Yesterday I was able to attend a wonderful event here at Boston College called the Own It Women's Summit.  Basically the entire day was spent attending panels by women and for women showing how they own it in their professional lives.  Even though it was a crazy early morning wake up call after a long night at a karaoke bar for a friend's 20th birthday, the entire day was a blast.  I loved some of the speakers I heard from and walked away feeling empowered.  Even though I still have no idea what I want to do with my live, where my true passions lie, or even have a vision of where I see myself five years from now, I think the event definitely led me in the right direction to get there!  I think I might break this up into a few smaller posts rather than one long one as well because I think each message might come across a little better then.

Often times I find myself always thinking that I am not good enough to apply to a position or thinking that I am under-qualified so I shouldn't even bother to apply.  I'm sure many of you have also felt this way before.  What is interesting though, is even if men feel like that they do not meet the necessary qualifications to apply for a job or position but they want it or still find it interesting, then they will apply no matter their resume.  Women on the other hand, will not.  Often times we only apply to jobs when we know we have the potential to actually receive the offer.  Whether this is out of fear of failure or just our own self-consciousness, we don't own ourselves.  

We cut ourselves short before the world even has the chance to see us for what we are.  We fail to show the whole world who we are because he fear rejection.  I'm sure we have all heard the quote, "Go big or go home" before.  I've heard it while playing sports or going out with friends on the weekends, but never when applying to jobs or looking at my future.  Kate White, former editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine said that this was her biggest tip to women.  We should not be afraid of what people will think of us if we aim higher or bigger.  It is with those big and bold dreams that we are able to find our passions and our goals.  If we constantly apply to positions we know we are qualified for, then we aren't pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zone.


Along those same lines, looking for your passion is not how you find your passion.  I think one of my favorite quotes from the day which is funny yet has a deep meaning is, "You have to be on the bus to Cairo to figure out what you want to do."  She told the story of a fashion director at the magazine who discovered she loved styling photo shoots while she was on a bus ride in Cairo and on the side of the road she saw a German fashion magazine having a photo shoot in front of a beautiful building.  It was right then and there that she figured out that that is what she wanted to do with the rest of her life.  We all will find our bus to Cairo one day but we can't plan for it.  Eventually something will find us that confirms this is what I want to do and where I want to be.  Therefore, if you don't know what your passion is just yet, it means that your bus is still out there, waiting for you to buy a ticket and ride it.

I look forward to posting more about this amazing summit because I think its important that as women we empower ourselves and that we feel comfortable to own ourselves!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground