Current Skincare

April 26, 2015

I thought I would preface this post by saying that I am by no means a skincare expert.  I do know quite a bit about skincare products but that is only because I do my research and I know my skin really well.  Honestly I think that is the best advice I could give anyone.  Before going to a dermatologist or consulting anyone else, learn your skin.  Learn what products work, what irritates it, etc.  This definitely will take time but once you learn this it is extremely beneficial.  I am still in this learning process and to be honest, skincare is always a learning process.  As your age your hormones are constantly changing which makes your skin constantly changing.  Also don't feel pressured to use a certain label or all of one brand.  As you will see each one of my products is of a different price range and a different company.  Mixing your products helps create a custom routine perfect for your individual skin type.

So now to give a brief overview of what type of skin I have.  I have the definition of combination skin.  It tends to be on the more oily side but it can definitely get dry especially along my jaw line and on my cheek bones near my my hairline.  I have an incredibly oily T-zone (forehead down nose to chin).  Sometimes it looks like I am just painted in oil - yeah that bad.  So for me it has been a constant battle between using products to dry up the oil which then creates some patchy skin which I treat with heavy moisturizers only to create more oil.  A terrible cycle.  

I never used to break out very much in high school but within the past two years (since moving to college) my skin has been breaking out more and more.  I breakout along my forehead and also along my cheek bones near my hairline (where its dry).  And the cycle continues here as well.  Treating breakouts in both oily and dry areas is pretty difficult.

In high school I used tons of products.  I thought the more I used the better my skin would be.  However, since being at college I have had to downsize the number of products considerably.  And honestly I think it has been for the better.  I think the more products I piled on my skin the more sensitive it got and the more it broke out.  I have come to the realization that less is most definitely more.  I am keeping it simple and so far I am loving it.


My sister claims that its not the cleanser you use but the products you apply afterwards.  As long as you clean your skin.  I used to agree until I found this stuff.  Its gentle enough to use as an everyday cleanser but it has most definitely helped to tame my acne and clear up my skin.  I didn't put this in the picture but I use a Clarisonic while using this cleanser.  Honestly the Clarisonic has changed my life and I cannot go back to washing my face without!  I usually just use this as night.

This stuff is incredibly drying.  I definitely have to use it sparingly has it can make my dry patches even dryer.  But it is amazing at combating oiliness.  I normally just use this in the mornings instead of washing my face as almost like a mattifier for the day.  I highly recommend it if you have oily skin.  I haven't noticed much of a difference in my pore size but it does help dry up acne which is an added bonus.

Everyone should find an exfoliater that works for their skin.  Don't ever think that your skin is too dry or too sensitive for one.  There is one out there for skin type so find it!  Exfoliating your skin opens up the skin to allow more moisture to seep in and helps remove all the dead skin cells.  This oatmeal one from St. Ives is amazing and gritty with still being super gentle on the skin.  Its meant for dry skin which is why I like it because it actually soothes some of the dry patches I have while still buffing away the oily zones.  I use this like every two nights or so and also use it with a Clarisonic for extra exfoliation.

I have used both the normal/combination and dry skin version of this moisturizer and I really didn't notice too much of a difference.  The reason I love either one so much is because if the finish it has.  I think this has to do with the gel formula but it dries to a super smooth finish.  Its not quite matte but it feels wonderful on the skin.  Its also super cooling which wakes up your skin in the morning.  I usually use this in the mornings after the toner and spot treatment.

This stuff is holy grail worthy.  I use it everywhere, not just my face.  It works wonders.  It is so thick and amazing and it really works.  I use it every night and find it makes my skin so smooth and soft.  A little goes a long way so this giant tub lasts forever.  The price is a little steep for a drugstore moisturizer but because it lasts so long it is definitely worth it.  Plus I use is all over my body so it has multiple purposes.

Once again another holy grail item that I have been using forever.  I don't think I have found another spot treatment at this price that does almost exactly what the higher end ones do.  I have tried some of the more expensive ones and I always return to this one.  For a while my dermatologist gave me the Epiduo perscription acne spot treatment which is amazing and I do love but it is rather drying.  Clean & Clear is one of the few that I have found that is effective but doesn't dry out my skin too much.

These are amazing makeup remover wipes that don't irritate my skin.  Sometimes the wipes can have a rough texture that causes my skin to breakout but these are very fine and smooth which I love.  They work very effectively and don't make me pull on my eyes when removing my eye makeup.  I never wear heavy eye makeup though so if you do I would recommend an oil remover for your eyes in addition to wipes.

Please let me know if you guys have any skin care items that you love and that I should try!

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Murad cleanser and the Simple wipes too! Neither are currently in my routine, but they're both products that I have purchased more than once in the past.

    Sarah
    Sweet Spontaneity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are two of my favorites! I just checked out your blog and love it:) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. These are all great products. I use that same Cetaphil cream!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just amazing and nourishing! I love it :)

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground