Sophomore Year in Review

May 21, 2015

Two years done.  I honestly cannot believe that I am officially half way through my college career.  It feels like yesterday that I was packing up my suitcases to head off to Boston.  Also, the fact that I only have three semesters left at a place I now call home is incredibly sad.  Sometimes I feel that sophomore year can go unnoticed, the sophomore slump becomes real, and the entire year can be wasted.  I thought I would share a few things that I took away from this year and some of the things that made it the best year yet!


one || Freshmen year isn't supposed to be perfect.  I know that it might look like all your other friends are having the cliche college experience but they probably aren't.  Each person struggles and freshmen year is the time to struggle, and struggle hard.  At the end of my sophomore year, I finally realized that my struggle is okay and normal.  I learned to accept my own life and compared it less to others.

two || Along those same lines, I didn't post as much on social media about my college experience.  I uploaded photos every once and a while but I made sure to not cast my college experience different than what it actually was.  That being said, I also didn't judge my own college adventures based on those I saw my friends having. 

three || I joined a lot more clubs and become even more involved.  While my initial intentions for joining more activities weren't the best, I became obsessed with everything I was in and loved that I did it.  I made new friends and found myself putting 100% into these new commitments.  And yes they were time commitments, but I loved them so it was worth it.

four || I took classes I enjoyed.  Sophomore year is usually the time when you can take classes in your major and ones you find relatively interesting (no more core!).  While I did have a few remaining core classes to finish (and sadly still do) I was able to take classes I found  beyond interesting with professors I loved!  It honestly makes a huge difference taking classes with amazing professors because you actually want to pay attention.  For the first time in a while, I actually looked forward to a bunch of my classes.  This shows me that in the next few years, my classes don't have to be boring, if I don't want them to be :)

five || Because I started caring more about my classes I actually did the best I have done yet.  Studying material you find interesting no longer becomes a chore.  In addition, I cared less about my grades this year than ever.  The realization hit that my GPA was just a number that doesn't define me. Whether its a good number, or a bad one, it still isn't you who are.  I took classes I loved no matter if they would look good, or give me a good GPA.

six || There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.  Sophomore year definitely had its downs but I wouldn't have traded any of them.  I ended the year on an ultimate high which made all the little things that were once bad feel so insignificant.  In the end, the small things may feel big at the time, but in the future, when you look back, you will always remember the amazing, wonderful things that happened rather than the bad ones.

Thanks sophomore year for the best one yet!

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. I definitely feel like your sophomore year is when it really starts to come together, then your junior year you ride high and kill it, and senior year you're just done. That's how it was for me anyways. What a great reflection though, a great thing to look back on and realize how you've grown and changed! Happy Friday.


    xoxo,
    Meghan
    Southern Belle Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I especially love number five about the GPA. Thank you so much for sharing!
    xoxo
    Lauren Ashley
    www.thefashionistasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that your sophomore year was such a wonderful experience for you!! <3

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned the GPA thing this year too! I had so much trouble in high school because I put so much pressure on myself to have a perfect GPA and I was constantly stressed out. This year I decided to focus more on doing my best in my classes without stressing myself out, I didn't end up with a perfect GPA but I felt okay about it and thats all that mattered!

    Anchors and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great takeaways--I have the worst time comparing myself to others, especially when it comes to grades and GPAs. While I ended up with a GPA I am proud of, some of my hardest classes, the ones most likely to bring my GPA down, were my favorites, and that made me realize I was being silly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post and your outlook on your sophomore year. My sophomore year is when I started getting really involved as well and so glad I did! I made some of my best friends in those organizations!

    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a great sophomore year even though (as you stated) each year has some challenges. Sophomore year was one of my favorite years of college!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophmore year is always the hardest! Glad you enjoyed it though. Only two more years left. ;)

    www.thematerialgirl.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great realizations!
    I found sophomore year of college to be my roughest.
    Enjoy college while you can because it flies by.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halfway done! I think I came to the realizations like this during my sophomore year. X

    Kay | Fashionably Kay

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground