FOMO

September 1, 2015

This weekend I had the biggest case of FOMO that I think I have ever had in my life.  Seeing social media posts of everyone having fun at parties and getting ready for class was so difficult.  I had a  minor melt down and the insane desire to not study abroad for the semester set in.  All I wanted to do was to hop on a flight back to Boston and start class with all of my friends.  Yesterday was the first day of class for all of my friends at my college.  Yesterday I was still home in Chicago, I ran errands, and did a little shopping.

I leave to go abroad in one week and my level of excitement is on a definite rollercoaster.  One minute I cannot wait before I'm living my life and taking classes in another country.  The next minute I get major anxiety about going to another country where I don't know anyone, where I'm away from all my friends at school who are only growing closer while I'm gone, and I'm away from my family with limited communication.  I know once I get to Scotland I will forget all my fears and anxiety but I know my FOMO will only grow stronger.


I have always been one of those people who gets extremely self conscious when she sees people hanging out together and she wasn't invited.  Now I know while I'm abroad there was an obvious reason why I wasn't invited but it still hurts.  So many questions pass through my mind: Do they even realize I'm not there?  Do they miss me?  What would we be doing if I was there?  What happens when I get back?  Will I feel like I'm missing the jokes and not feel included anymore?

While these thoughts are continuously plaguing me I am trying to stay focused on all the small errands I have to finish and how much fun I am going to have while I'm abroad.  In the meantime I've been trying to think of different ways to help alleviate my insane FOMO and so far the biggest thing I have come up with is to stop relying on social media.  I think when I go abroad I am going to delete my Snapchat and use Facebook way less.  There is no way I could ever put down Instagram but I think the other two are definitely doable.  While it will feel weird to miss out on the funny snaps and all the photos, I think it will be all for the better.  

Its crazy to me how social media is such a strong player in all of our lives.  People always say Facebook is genius because it lets you stay close with people you might have lost touch with along the way.  But maybe it lets you start a little too close.  I don't really care what that gorgeous girl in my Psych 101 class did last weekend yet I feel the desperate need to stalk all of her photos.  I am hoping that when I go abroad,  I can immerse myself more into the Scottish culture.  I will enjoy my time more with the new people I meet instead of worrying so much about what is happening back home.   

If any of you have gone abroad, how did you deal with FOMO?

22 comments:

  1. I had the SAME THING last year right before I studied abroad. It was really rough, and I almost didn't end up going! It was really rough because I missed out on a lot. But then i realized that so many people miss out on what I was doing. I ended up staying of off Facebook for a better part of the days I was in Spain. It ended up being healthier and I did more because of it! Studying abroad will allow you to grow SO MUCH, and you're going to 50 and not regret it. Trust me. A year ago today I left to study abroad, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!
    Good luck!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was exactly what I needed to hear!!

      Delete
  2. good luck! prayers for a safe journey as you travel to and from a new country. I hope you make tons of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally understand your fear of missing out with your friends back home. Social media can seriously enhance FOMO and it can be deflating. You're going to have such an amazing once in a lifetime experience studying abroad, soon you'll be off adventuring and the FOMO will become easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand your FOMO! My best friend just left for Florence a week ago and she felt the same way -- but now she's totally loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you are going to be studying in Scotland! Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that your friends will be experiencing FOMO from your fun adventures. I definitely feel like I missed out not studying abroad so I'm in the opposite boat but I think you'll have an absolutely amazing time!

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually don't get FOMO, but I know a lot of people do. Just remember that your friends definitely miss you and will be so excited to see you again. Also remember to get out there and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your outfit. You look amazing.

    http://www.cocobagsaleonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on your travels! So exciting!
    www.kayleighskloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely understand! I studied abroad (in Spain), but I assure you it's the most fun, worthwhile thing you'll ever do and experience! Definitely some FOMO but it's all worth it in the end. I didn't really deal with how I felt other than to spend as much time with my friends as possible when I got back. I made sure to get skype and keep in touch with all of them while away which helped as well. So excited for you though -- you're going to have a blast as soon as you get there!

    Sarah
    http://www.bohochiccafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not study abroad, unfortunately :-( Unless you count 3 years in elementary school we spent in Nairobi, Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on your travels! Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that social media has played more into our lives than we should let it! I did not study abroad but I wish you luck in your travels!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The anxiety is normal but you're going to do AMAZING things abroad! Social media can get the best or worst of us sometimes!
    Lauren
    The Fashionista's Diary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be in this same situation soon! You will have an amazing time. Be proud that you are stepping out of the norm to do different. Soon you will posting great stuff on social media and they will be jealous. Good Luck!

    xoxo Dani
    www.glamrme.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so excited for you, and I cannot wait to follow along on your adventures. I can assure you that your friends will miss you like crazy.

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had such bad FOMO when I studied abroad but it ended up being one of the best experiences of my life. Everything will still be there when you return and you'll get to have new experiences to enjoy in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i totally get FOMO too, especially every time i leave town, it seems like there's always something fun that i'm missing too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i went abroad and the best way to describe it is a roller coaster. Embrace your surroundings, it won't take long and it will be so amazing

    Nicole // Chronicling Home

    ReplyDelete
  20. FOMO is so hard when going abroad, but just remember that people who are NOT abroad might be going through your pictures thinking the same thing!

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground