August 5, 2014

DIY Tassel Garland


You could say I am mildly obsessed with tassels.  I don't know where this new love came from but I love them on shorts, shirts, and even garlands on my walls.  I have been seeing these all over Pinterest and who doesn't love a Pinterest craft?  I thought this would be perfect for my dorm decoration series!  And I have to say I love this so much.  I want to make tons more in so many different colors.  My only problem is that I don't know how I am going to get it to my dorm in Boston because I am flying... But for now it is hanging in my room at home and every time I look at I get super happy.  


A glue gun worked amazingly well for me but you can definitely try regular glue (you might just have to wait awhile for things to dry!).  I just used hemp rope to strip up my tassels but feel free to use whatever you can find.  The gold paper is slightly different than the normal tissue paper but I found it in the same section at Michael's.  


One sheet of tissue paper makes 4 tassels!  You can adjust the length of the tassels later.




I know in the photo the ruler says it is about 2 inches of border.  I however found that that was too much space once you open the tissue paper.  I found that a 1 inch border worked much better!


Unfold your tissue paper and cut at each crease where you folded.  This should divide the piece into four smaller sections.


When you unfold each section you should have fringe at either end and the center should have no cuts.


Roll your piece lengthwise.  Be careful not to twist the fringe too.



Next you are going to twist just the center part as tight as you can.  Be very careful not to tear the tissue paper though because it is super easy to do so.  Worse come to worse though you can just use the glue gun to put it back together (I did that on a few!).


Then you are going to bend the piece in have and twist.  Put glue on the twist to secure the tassel!


And finally you are going to string the tassels on the rope and glue them in place!  This is where the fun comes in.  You can totally make the string as uniform or as crazy as you want!  I went in groups of 8 colors but each group of 8 had a different order.  I love it when it looks totally random too!  A bit of advice, if you do decide to do both gold and silver foil paper, do not put them next to each other because they are extremely static-y and cling to one another like crazy!  I also really like when some are different lengths (you would just cut some length off the tassels).  I wasn't too brave to do that because I think my OCD my kick in if it wasn't a perfect disorder but they do look amazing.

I hope you enjoyed this and good luck with your crafting!  Let me know if you try it out, I would love to see the results :)

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. absolutely loving this DIY sweet pea! I'm in the process of moving and have been on the hunt for easy decorations! Thanks for sharing xx

    Makeshift Munch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love this one for a gorgeous statement :)

      Delete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

                       

Subscribe