April 29, 2015

A year in either direction...

I am in this club on campus called Word of Mouth where basically every week we give a 3 minute speech about a topic the leader decides on.  I have grown to love it because it has definitely made me more comfortable talking in front of a group.  But on Monday, I gave a speech about time and it really got me thinking.  Isn't it crazy how much can change in one year.

Looking back at this time last year I could not wait to get home.  I wanted my freshman year of college to be over and I wanted to be in the comfort of my own home surrounded by familiarity, queen size beds, and puppy kisses.  The second my finals were over I quickly said my goodbyes and hopped on the first flight out of town heading back to the great Midwest.  I remember one of my friends saying she was going to miss me so much and this sharp pain shot through me when I realized I wasn't going to miss her.  I know this sounds awful but I let me explain.  I love her to death.  She remains to be one of my best friends but at that time last year, I couldn't afford to miss anything because I just wanted to be gone.  I ended up missing her a lot actually throughout the summer so it turns it out I couldn't help myself my missing things no matter how hard I tried.


Freshmen year most definitely had its ups and downs.  To be honest, it was all a big up until second semester rolled around and nothing went right.  This along with many other reasons was why I wanted to leave.  I had even thought about transferring a few times and I am so glad I didn't.

Moving on to the end of my sophomore year and the entire world has done a complete 180.  I want to stay here forever.  Please don't make me go home.  I know I have to, and I am beyond excited about it because I have two unbelievable internships and hopefully a part time job and I get to see my family (mainly my niece but shh don't tell the rest of them!).  But Boston College has quickly become my home.  I never thought I would say it but it has.  Oh now I'm going to get sappy.  

I became such good friends with people I didn't even know at the beginning of the year and now I can say I am going to miss them.  I am going to miss nights where pajamas and Netflix ends up turning into party-hopping and painful feet.  I am going to miss staying up late to watch 10 Things I Hate About You or shopping trips on Sundays.  I know what your thinking, "Annie you will see them in three months calm down."  But see now there's the kicker... I won't actually see them in three months.  I will see them in a year.  I am going abroad the fall semester next year and they are going abroad in the spring semester which means we will miss each other.  

So looking forward now to this time next year is crazy to believe.  I would have been abroad in Europe for an entire semester and I cannot even begin to imagine what adventures I went on.  I hopefully had an amazing second semester no matter where I ended up living or who it was with.  I know I won't be in the same clubs but hopefully I joined new ones and made amazing friends and tried new things.  They say hindsight is always 20/20...but there should be a saying that says looking towards the future provides just as much perspective as looking towards the past.  We have to look both backwards and forwards.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

                       

Subscribe