April 8, 2015

Mat Kearney "Just Kids"

I discovered a gem the other day while scrolling through a new blog (Too Damn Young)!  It is Mat Kearney's new album "Just Kids."  I thought I would do something a little different on here today and just lust over a single album instead of sharing some of my playlists.  I don't think I can express how much perfection is in it.  When I was listening to the album I didn't even realize who Mat Kearney was but I YouTube stalked him and it turns out that a lot of his music I totally recognized but never actually new who the artist was.  I have recently listened the entirety of the album multiple times and each time a new song or lyric stands out.  I think that's what is so great about the album actually, there is a wide variety of songs for every feeling, emotion, and occasion.
 

First things first (I'm the realist) Kearney's music videos are unbelievable.  Honestly I don't think I have seen cooler videos.  The single "Heartbeat" on this album, the entire music video was one take and shot with a drone!  Un. Be. Lievable.  Ships in the Night was shot in 165 locations cutting after about 3 seconds in each one.  The imagination on this guy in groundbreaking.  I totally wish I found him sooner.



The album is very self-reflective and tells stories about loss and hope.  Kearney describes the album as a cross between Kanye West and Paul Simon and I have to give it to him on that one because it totally is.  I couldn't pinpoint the exact sound until I heard that and it all made sense then.

I think my favorite song is definitely the opener "Heartbreak Dreamer."  The lyrics are amazing and I cannot wait to blast this cool electro beat while driving this summer with windows down and the sun shining.  The song ends with lyrics from the wonderful slam poem Shake of the Dust (and you all know just how much I love slam poetry) which makes the entire song 10x better.  "Billion" is amazingly catchy and "Heartbeat" makes me want to dance (coincidentally like the video).  I think "Ghost" might be my second favorite, if not tied for first, because it struck me so deep lyrically and emotionally that I immediately fell in love.  It is about mourning loss which is something we can all relate to and Kearney does a wonderful job tapping into those feelings.



I could go on to discuss every single track on the album because there truly isn't a single one that I don't like (which is rare of most albums) and I would highly recommend it.  If any of you have any new music favorites please let me know as I would love to hear them because I am always looking to find some new incredible music.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

                       

Subscribe