July 30, 2015

8 fun ways to stay active

I have tried every way I know to get  into working out.  I used to play club volleyball almost every day of the week for multiple hours each day.  The amount of physical activity I did while I was in middle school and high school I think wore me out for the rest of my life.  By the time I got to college I was over it.  I could not longer be bothered to go to the gym, run a mile, or do my ab workouts.  I still hate running and doing crunches but I have found a few alternatives to the boring routine of the cliche workout routine.


Go for a hike // A very simple alternative that can actually be extremely strenuous.  Hiking might be one of my favorite ways to be physically active because you get to explore amazing new places.  The photo above was taken by Lake Michigan after a hike down a bluff side.  The whole walk was super woodsy and buggy but just look at the view that came afterwards.

Play with your pets // Nothing beats the joy on a puppy's face when you ask the simple question, "Do you want to go for a walk?"  I have always wished my little 7LB pooch could catch a frisbee.  When he was younger he used to love playing fetch and now he takes one look at the toy, looks back at me, and walks away.  But he still loves long walks!  And I love zoning out on long walks with him!

Dance class // I cannot say I have ever done this because I am probably the least flexible person in the world.  My sister on the other hand, has just recently started taking ballet classes and swears by them.  She says they are so fun and work insane parts of her body.  She goes to a class twice a week and can totally see the tightening effects.

Self defense class // This is something that I think every girl should take.  We need to know how to protect ourselves no matter the circumstances and self defense classes are the best way to get there.  Plus, they offer an amazing workout and I can guarantee you will work up quite the sweat.

Bike rides // Nothing screams summertime like lazy bike rides.  We all have seen those adorable scenes in rom coms and dream of those happening to us.  Whether you have a significant other to share your bike ride with or just want to take one by yourself, it is a much better way to workout that being stuck inside a stinky gym riding a bike.

Go for a swim // Grab your friends and plan a beach day.  Rather than a real workout, I feel like I could actually spend hours in a body of water.  You don't really feel tired when you are jumping and swimming and splashing with friends but the second you wrap yourself up in that towel the exhaustion hits.  Plus, while you are in the water, you obviously don't notice your sweat as much!

Rock climbing // The one thing I miss about summer camp is the unlimited access to an amazing climbing wall.  I used to choose that for every "choice activity!"  It was hands down my favorite and will help you build quite the upper body strength.

Join an intramural league // Remember above when I said I used to play volleyball pretty competitively?  Well I missed it so much in college.  It was hard to go from playing all the time to never touching a volleyball.  Lucky for me, my school had intramural sports leagues and volleyball was one of them.  A bunch of friends and I got a team together and it was so much fun! If you aren't in college anymore, look into your local rec center for teams.

And while you stay active, make sure to check out some of my favorite workout attire!
What do you guys do to stay active?

16 comments:

  1. I love rock climbing and going for a hike! I might head over to the pool today, it's too hot to be inside!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going bike riding and swimming! They're both such great workouts. Have you tried playing tennis? It's probably my favorite fun way to exercise!

    Tiffani
    Www.notyouraveragesouthernbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love hiking, bike riding, trying new workout classes, and kayaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The puppy tip is so true--I have a 70 pound dog so he keeps me so active! I also ride horses. This can be expensive, but it's so much fun and a great way to stay active!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't agree more with playing with your pets. Walking my dog everyday is such a good way to stay active, and she loves me for it! Sometimes we walk more than two miles multiple times a day if its nice outside.

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome tips! I love tricking myself into doing things that are healthy haha I also love all of your lululemon picks! I'm totally obsessed with their active wear, I just wish it was more affordable!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas for working out. I absoloutely love hiking (and rock climbing though I hardly ever go). I need to take a self defense class some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love swimming and dancing for exercise. I've recently gotten into going back to the gym and it's definitely been a great and positive change in my life.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all really great ideas! I'm not a huge fan of working out, but I force myself to go to the gym. I would love to take a self-defense class, especially because my school offers it for credit!

    Kayla | kaylablogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going for a hike and taking a dance class sound right up my alley!!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great!! I love bike riding and hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dance classes are my favorite way to stay in shape! I'm not outdoorsy, so it's my preferred method. Love all of these suggestions!

    xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely play with my pets a lot!! I also go on bike rides when it isn't super hot in miami!

    Lauren
    The Fashionista's Diary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hiking when we go on vacations -- I wish we had actual mountains in Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I danced for fifteen years, so dance classes are my favorite types of workouts! I took a self defense class once, and I would love to take another one! I definitely agree that every woman should take one. I feel so empowered now!

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass


    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to hiking, dancing, and swimming! I always love feeling like I'm not actually working out when I am and those activities are so fun!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

                       

Subscribe