August 19, 2015

Book Review: The Magicians

Nothing is worse than taking a week off for vacation for it to rain every day.  And while I have yet to take a trip to the lake or the pool, I have gotten some amazing reading done cuddled up with a cup of green tea.  I just finished an amazing series that my brother recommended to me and now I want to share it all with you.

The first book in the trilogy, The Magicians, came out in 2010, the second, The Magician King, in 2012, and the third and final, The Magician's Land, in 2014.  I hadn't heard anything about the series until my brother started reading it and he lent the books to me after he had finished.  It is one of those things though where you have never heard of the word but then start hearing it everywhere.  Because now when I walk around I see this book in every window and shelf.


If I could give the briefest summary of the series I would say it is the perfect combination of Harry Potter meets Narnia.  Basically, just imagine if Harry Potter went to college and then on to Narnia.  It definitely refers to these two series, poking some fun and making jokes, but it never felt uninventive.  Unlike the other two, this series is definitely meant for adults as there are quite a few graphic scenes and intense subject areas.  I thought it would be hard to create something new because when it comes this genre it feels almost "been there, done that" but this series brought a new fresh feel.

Unlike many series (ahem Hunger Games I am looking at you!) this series only got better with each addition.  I would have to say that the first book is probably my least favorite.  That by no means makes it bad because it is still amazing, but it is a necessary means.  You have to make your way through the first book, get the gritty details and learn the basics before you can dive head first into the mysteries and magic that intertwine in the second and third books.  And don't let the character's "jerk-ish" tendencies deter you from reading the next one!  I would recommend reading the series straight through if you can.

I will leave you with the best summary I could find off Amazon for the first book only as I don't want to give anything away: Quentin Coldwater is brilliant but miserable. A high school math genius, he’s secretly fascinated with a series of children’s fantasy novels set in a magical land called Fillory, and real life is disappointing by comparison. When Quentin is unexpectedly admitted to an elite, secret college of magic, it looks like his wildest dreams may have come true. But his newfound powers lead him down a rabbit hole of hedonism and disillusionment, and ultimately to the dark secret behind the story of Fillory. The land of his childhood fantasies turns out to be much darker and more dangerous than he ever could have imagined . . .

When I finished the book everything I had questions about perfectly fell into line and it was totally resolved but I still wanted a fourth book.  I didn't want the story to be over because I had fallen so in love with the characters - the sign of a perfect series!

23 comments:

  1. I run a Twitter book club and I am always looking for new books for the group to read! Thank you for this one! It sounds fantastic.

    Nicole // Chronicling Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I am totally interested in reading this after your review. I've never heard of it but I love Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading and will definitely have to add this book to my list.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely adding this to my must read list! :)

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100% need to check this out once I finish Girl on The Train!

    Lauren
    The Fashionista's Diary

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound amazing! Definitely checking them out when I have some free time to read.

    Courtney//
    As We Stumble Along

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about this series!! I really need to pick it up!

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love book series that get better as they go on! I was never a HP fan but I might have to check this out.

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to LOVE books like HP and I think it's awesome that you called out the Hunger Games series here. You're so right about those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I have read the Harry Potter series about 3 times and this series sounds perfect for me! While I love Harry Potter, I need to read the "grown up" version now haha

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am on this epic reading kick, so I'm looking for any and all recommendations-- this officially goes on my list! :)

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound really good! I'm looking for a good book to get back into reading again, and these seem perfect!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about this series before! I love reading and I'm always looking for books to add to my list. Adding these ones now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sounds like books my sister would want to read! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this series, but it looks really entertaining! Might have to pick up the first book for my Philly road trip :)

    xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just bookmarked this post for future read!! I really love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so interesting - will definitely have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

    Pick Your Beau

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh, this series sounds great!! I'm definitely adding it to my list!!
    xx, Mikkaela
    The Southwestern Prepster

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sold me on the Harry Potter + Narnia combination. Definitely checking this series out because I've been looking for a series to get into. Thanks for sharing babe! x Nicole | www.changeanddress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard of this series, but it definitely sounds like something I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh better transition than the Hunger Games?? Must read.

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this review. I am going on a vacation and was looking for some good books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hahaha just reading the cover I could totally tell what you mean by Harry Potter meets Narnia. I'm now intrigued to read them!

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

                       

Subscribe